Comcare Claims

Comcare is the national scheme for workers’ compensation in Australia. It covers Commonwealth Government employees as well as the direct employees of certain licensed companies, examples of which include:

  • Telstra
  • Australia Post
  • StarTrack
  • Wilson Security
  • John Holland

The key differences between Comcare and most state-based workers’ compensation schemes are:

  • access to weekly payments until normal retirement age if the worker has demonstrated ongoing incapacity
  • different time frames apply to make, respond to or appeal claims
  • different types of compensation.

If you are injured, Hall Payne’s specialist lawyers will help you determine which scheme you’re covered by and give expert advice on every aspect of compensation.

Our Expert

Cameron Hall


Rated by peers as one of Queensland's best lawyers in the area, Cameron is widely respected as a leader within this field and as a mentor to the firm's growing personal compensation and super teams

Common Questions

What can I claim for?

First and foremost, you can be compensated for the shortfall in income resulting from your incapacity. You can also receive payment for medical expenses, rehabilitation costs, household and attendant care services, aids, appliances and modifications. If you are assessed as having a permanent impairment, additional amounts may be paid to you.

Even if you do not sustain an injury, if your property is damaged at work, you can also make a claim for the cost of repairing or replacing the property.

When should I make a claim?

You should make your claim as soon as possible after your injury.

When you can’t work due to injury, it is a very challenging time. Financial stress can make the situation overwhelming. The sooner a claim is accepted, the sooner you’ll receive compensation.

How do I know if I’m covered by Comcare?

Nearly all Federal public service employees will be covered by Comcare. You will also be covered if you are employed by a company who holds a Comcare license.  Companies such as Telstra, Australia Post and StarTrack, Wilson Security and John Holland all hold Comcare licenses.

I used to work in the public sector but don’t any more – can I still access Comcare?

Yes. If you sustained your injury while you were a public servant, you remain entitled to compensation even though your employment has ended.

How long will my claim take?

Some compensation claims are accepted within weeks. If a claim is rejected, however, and challenged through a court, the process can take up to one year or longer. Hall Payne will inform you of how your claim is progressing and provide practical advice throughout.

Other factors that influence timing are:

  • your rehabilitation progress
  • your prospects of returning to work
  • waiting on medical evidence.

Generally speaking, you should engage a lawyer as soon as possible. They can make sure your interests are protected at every stage of the process.

What if my claim has been rejected?

A large number of claims are rejected in the first instance. Hall Payne has a strong track record of assisting workers in overturning unfavourable decisions.

It is important to engage us early because the review process is quite complex. We will help you write your appeal and protect your entitlements.

How much will it cost to make a claim?

We will provide you with a free initial consultation to discuss your injury and the circumstances in which it arose. We will provide an estimate of legal costs and the likely time frames that will apply to your claim.

If we consider you have prospects of winning your case then we will represent you on a ‘no win, no fee’ basis.

1800 659 114

Enquire online

We have 9 offices across Queensland, New South Wales, Tasmania and the Northern Territory.